We are here to help you get the best value from your insurance
0121 321 4600
Newsletter Signup
Supported_Living_InsuranceTo be clear on which health care sector supported living insurance is aimed at, it is worth clarifying that it covers the domiciliary care and supported living service providers and is targeted at agencies and companies providing care at home.

Care homes insurance covers owners of buildings used for residential care of the young, vulnerable and disadvantaged members of our society.

With the growth in our ageing population and, in a lot of cases, resident’s preference to remain in their own home, a whole range of support services are needed through local homecare services, local authorities and agencies. These services can include:
  • Housekeeping and domestic work
  • Cooking
  • Nursing and healthcare
  • Carers respite service
  • Personal care
  • Gardening and repairs
Home health care is one of the fastest growing sectors in the health care industry and organisations providing these services face many risks whilst carrying out their daily tasks.

Due to the very nature of their working environment, travelling and working at different locations and in potentially unsafe households where risks are difficult to control, insurance cover with a wide range of benefits is required.

A “one size fits all” approach may not give you the most suitable insurance cover. This is where an insurance broker such as CLA will be able to research several providers and tailor a policy that is most appropriate for your business.

Employers liability insurance, public/product liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance are essential.
  • Other insurance cover you would expect include:
  • Business interruption
  • Mistreatment
  • Legal expenses
  • Personal accident and fidelity guarantee
  • Computer and business equipment
Call us for a quotation for your bespoke insurance requirements on 0121 321 4600.
Providing professional advice as a freelance consultant can be costly if you were to accidently provide incorrect advice or omit to pass on relevant information. Working for yourself is stressful enough without the added worry of potentially being liable for damage claims. Professional liability insurance cover has been designed with you in mind and can be tailored to meet your individual requirements.

The following story is typical of the risks that small businesses have to deal with:

Susan Jones works as a freelance training consultant contracted to a local university providing training courses to students on a variety of marketing techniques. Some of the courses cover the works of many of the famous Masters in marketing theory.

In preparation for the courses Susan put together a suitable programme approved by the university using widely available material gleaned from the internet and various publications and books. The university approved the course and Susan duly went on to produce material that would be given to the students during the course.

The course material was fairly generalist and contained references to the books and websites of the various experts in order to allow the students to follow up on the information should they wish to. There was no suggestion that the course was intended to teach any of the techniques, but was instead aimed at providing the students with the knowledge of what was available and where to find it.

Prof_IndemnityOne of the students of the course was particularly interested in one of the marketing Masters and decided to book a course with him. The student gave the Master a copy of the notes that he had been given by Susan. The Master decided to instruct solicitors to write to Susan alleging breach of copyright and seeking damages of £100,000.

Luckily for Susan she had adequate professional indemnity insurance which covered the costs and expenses of defending the claim. Following a formal apology from Susan the claim for damages was dropped.

Not having Professional Indemnity insurance in place could have been a costly mistake for Susan.

The view that Professional Indemnity insurance is simply something forced on you, could leave hundreds of individuals and firms complacent about the level of cover required with disastrous consequences. Professional Indemnity insurance protects your reputation, your business and often your livelihood. Yet industry insiders are shocked how little attention it receives.

Professional_IndemnityThis is a highly litigious age. Did you know that some estimates suggest that the number of people named in lawsuits against social media giant Facebook, is almost the same as the number of people using Facebook?  You are wide open to being sued if you are in a huge range of sectors of trade and industry - consultants, contractors, trainers, professional service companies, estate agents, and anyone else who gives advice or provides an area of expertise. One wrong move and you could be facing claims of negligence, breach of duty, errors or omissions. And if the claimant can prove loss of income, it can put you out of business.

Yet the root cause of the Professional Indemnity insurance misconceptions and under-insurance appears to be quite simply a lack of information.  That’s where an independent local broker like CLA comes in. With specific information about you and your firm we can explain what cover you need and what you need to pay. Crucially, we can also advise on what the costs would be if you don’t protect your professional reputation. We can explain how your cover and the limits within it will protect you against breaches of legislation and actions from other firms and individuals.  We can also talk you through how conscientious and prompt we will be in progressing claims, to help ensure your policy pays out to rectify damage and settle any legal fees and other costs involved. Professional Indemnity insurance can even cover your legal fees in defending false claims.

Not going to happen to you? Think again. Headlines about lawsuits for financial corruption and mismanagement are increasingly common.  But that attack on your professional reputation can come from anywhere. An advertising firm missed a mail shot deadline, as the printer it used went bankrupt. It led to a a claim for  £250,000 for loss of business. An estate agents accused of underselling a property had to pay out £200,000. An auctioneers sued for unwittingly selling stolen paintings was forced to part with £20,000. A travel agent who forgot to mention travel insurance had to pay out £10,000 when their client fell ill on holiday.

So if you don’t want to see years of hard work wasted by one slip-up, talk to us about Professional Indemnity.  We can negotiate great deals on premiums, at the same time as being thorough in the cover we recommend. We can make sure you are not over-paying,  and that levels of compensation in the policy are appropriate to your specific trade sector. Then, if there ever is a action against you, we will step in to personally manage the process of making a claim on your Professional Indemnity insurance.