We are here to help you get the best value from your insurance
0121 321 4600
Newsletter Signup
twitter Social Icon linkedin Social Icon
In the current unprecedented circumstances, we would like to provide an update regarding our service to you.

Our aim as your broker is to continue to deliver the highest standards of service possible. We remain open for business.

We are committed to supporting you in these difficult times. If you have any concerns regarding your insurance arrangements, we are still here for you.

You can get hold of us on the usual phone numbers and via email as normal. Our opening hours also remain unchanged.

While we don’t anticipate any service disruptions, we ask you to be patient should you have any issues getting hold of us. Rest assured we will continue to operate our business as usual. We will respond to all enquiries as quickly as possible.

Also, in line with government guidance, we are conducting all meetings with clients via teleconference or video conferencing facilities wherever possible. This minimises the risk of unnecessary social contact. We remain available to speak to you.

Please contact us if you need to. We hope you stay safe and healthy. We look forward to continuing to support you, now and in the future.
Kind regards,

Jeremy Clifford

Bollington CLA

Car insurance

Car in floodwaterWhether you live in a high-risk flood area or you are driving around the local roads, with winters in the UK becoming wetter and flood records being regularly broken, you need to check exactly what is covered in your high net worth (HNW) insurance policies.

If you left your car in the garage, parked on your driveway or driving it to the shops during a spell of rainy weather, any water ingress to the engine or interior of your car could lead to a costly claim to dry out and repair a high value vehicle.

Insurers recognise that flood damage from raised water levels while your car is parked (unavoidable damage) is different to making a decision to drive through a flooded road (avoidable). Your insurance provider may decide not to pay out on an avoidable claim, depending on the circumstances, if they consider it was reckless behaviour. To make a claim whether avoidable or unavoidable you will need to have fully comprehensive insurance, not just third party so this will not be a problem with your HNW insurance policy.

Our recommendations:

Never drive through floodwater if you believe there is a risk that your engine may cut out or you are unable to see what lurks below the surface. Extra caution will be needed if you own a Turbo-charged diesel engine car, they are more vulnerable to water ingress and damage.

High net worth Family fleet car insurance

Considering the fact that many high net worth clients live in areas on the outskirts of towns and often in rural areas with rivers and open fields nearby that are prone to flooding, having an insurance policy that meets your specific needs is vital.

High net worth insurance clients can take advantage of insuring all of their vehicles under one insurance policy. This can include other motorised vehicles such as quad bikes, boats and horseboxes that may also be parked on the premises.

This makes it much easier to make a claim under one insurance policy if worst happens and you find your property and garages destroyed or damaged by an insured loss.

If your main vehicle is worth more than £30,000, you can include all of your other motorised vehicles under the same policy. The main vehicle can be a modern high-performance prestige car, luxury saloon or a classic car.

Buildings and contents insurance

Though long periods of freezing temperatures are becoming less common in some parts of the UK, there are still times when cold weather can affect property and outbuildings. High net worth clients often live in larger older properties with pipework that can burst in freezing temperatures. A leak in a large property with expensive fittings and contents can lead to a big insurance claim. Unoccupied premises can also increase the risk, with HNW clients more likely to take long mid-winter holidays or spend time between more than one property.

Our recommendations:

Make sure the property and water pipes are well insulated, especially lofts, cellars and outbuildings. Keep the temperature above 10°C while unoccupied and ask a friend or neighbour to check the property at regular intervals.

Keep the property well maintained throughout the year and identify and test your main stopcocks as they can seize up in older properties. Arrange for professional valuations to make sure you are not underinsured if you do have to make a claim following an insured incident.

Benefits of high net worth insurance

Due to the nature of HNW claims, there are many benefits to providing cover for all of your possessions and holiday cover under one tailored HNW insurance policy.

From dedicated claims handlers to specialist repairers, you can be confident that your insurance claims will be handled quickly 24/7, 365 days a year, anywhere in the world.

Your bespoke insurance will cover all your needs. Call 0121 321 4600 to discover how it works with one of our team of advisers or visit https://www.clarisksolutions.co.uk/insurance/lifestyle/high-net-worth-insurance to find out more.
Skilled trades cover a wide range of professions and include many self-employed jobs. According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS) the number of self-employed increased from 3.3 million in 2001 to 4.8 million in 2017, now representing 15.1% of the labour force.

Trade sectors include:
  • Construction and building (bricklayers, roofers, plumbers)
  • Metal and electrical (Vehicle technician, aircraft engineer, welders, CNC machinists)
  • Agriculture (Farmers, gardeners, groundsmen)
  • Textile/printing and other skilled trades (Tailors, butchers, bakers, chefs).
Each of these sectors have their own range of risks when it comes to insurance and it is important to tailor policies to meet each individual sector’s requirement.

This is where an Insurance Broker can help and advise you on risks you may not have even thought about or claims trends that are on the rise. For example:

1. Van insurance for trades

Electricial taking tools from vanTheft of tools or equipment from vehicles has risen dramatically over the last few years. Some insurance providers impose conditions or exclusions in their insurance policies. Many insurers are now limiting their tool cover to working hours only and will not cover tools left in vehicles overnight. Insurers will ask you for a value of the tools you want to insure and will apply an excess on any claim.
You may be able to take precautions to protect your vehicle contents from theft and reduce your insurance premium by installing an alarm, immobiliser or tracker. However, if there are times when tools have to be left overnight, you could increase security by using additional door locks or tool vault boxes. Modern CCTV cameras can also act as a deterrent. This is when the advice of a broker is invaluable to help you get the most suitable cover for your particular business risks.

2. Farming insurance

Theft of farm machinery has been on the increase over recent years. Farmers insurance policies often cover a range of services that are needed to cover the entire farming operation including:
  • Buildings
  • Livestock
  • Accident
  • Vehicles
  • Diseases such as foot and mouth
  • Money
  • Deterioration of stock.
Farming is undergoing constant change, never more so than now, with farmers being forced to diversify, tackle livestock diseases, and cope with flood risk. An insurance broker can offer advice on insurance cover required if you are considering a new venture or change to use of your land.

2. Liability insurance

Most trades have to deal with the general public and in our increasingly claim aware culture and the growth of no win no fee lawyers, individuals and businesses cannot afford to overlook this insurance cover:
  • Employers liability insurance is a legal requirement if you own premises or employ staff.
  • Public liability insurance will cover you if a client, customer or member of the public makes a claim against your business for injury (or death), medical fees or damage to their property or possessions.
  • Product liability insurance provides cover for any products that you supply or fit that are faulty or defective and result in a claim for damages.
  • Professional indemnity insurance is available for consultants and professionals providing advice to their clients. Claims for incorrect advice or mistakes are covered together with legal costs for defending you case.
Consulting an insurance broker such as Bollington CLA to provide advice will ensure you have the right amount of cover for your individual circumstances. Call one of our team on 0121 321 4600.
Lloyd’s Coffee House was the first marine insurance market, established in the late 1680s, eventually leading to the establishment of Lloyd’s of London.

Marine insurance has evolved since then to cover a wide range of risks for today’s shipping requirements including ship’s hull, cargo and marine liability.

Political unrest, unpredictable weather conditions and the marine insurance market can all influence insurance premiums.

The current unrest in the Middle East, the recent attacks on shipping and the uncertainty of the dispute between the US and Iran are already starting to have an adverse impact on insurance premiums.

Extreme weather caused by global warming has resulted in containers from ships being washed overboard due to strong winds.

These challenges have meant that some providers in the marine insurance sector are walking away from the unprofitable areas of marine insurance. For several years the market has had a wealth of providers in the sector, however, this may be changing as margins are squeezed and providers pull out of the market or place additional conditions on the business.

Marine insurance cover

Container-vessel-at-seaSourcing the best marine insurance cover for your needs in today’s difficult and complex market will require expert knowledge and an understanding of the latest challenges facing global shipping and the changes within the insurance sector to ensure you understand any restrictions or exclusions within the policy.

This is where an insurance broker can provide the knowledge to source the best policy for your needs. Whether you are a shipowner, cargo owner or agent such as a haulier or freight forwarder, CLA (Risk Solutions) can provide the expertise to guide you through the selection of the best policy to meet your needs at the most economical price.

Freight forwarders insurance

This cover is designed specifically for freight forwarders. It is not cargo insurance; it provides cover for any errors and omissions while carrying out responsibilities to clients. The cover includes:
  • legal costs for defending claims
  • clerical errors and omissions
  • containers and trailers on hire
  • temporary storage costs following an insured incident.
You can also insure the goods, if required, under an open cover facility. Alternatively, we can arrange insurance cover for any of your clients’ goods directly.

We will work with you to understand your terms and conditions, the cover would be limited to your maximum amount under those terms.

To discuss any of your marine insurance requirements, call 0121 321 4600.
HSE (Health and Safety Executive) has had to bear its fair share of cuts since 2009/10 and has seen a 46% reduction in central Government funding.

Though there have been serious cuts to HSE by the Government over the last few years resulting in a drop in enforcement activity, individual fines are increasing. The average fine per conviction now stands at £149,661.

The manufacturing sector was again the most heavily fined contributing nearly 40% to the total fines imposed.  Whilst that figure was a 15% reduction on the previous year, the fine per conviction went up by 8% to £210,058.  

The construction sector followed with total fines of £15.7m (down 12%) but with an increased fine per conviction of £107,794 (up 14%).

Utility supply was the sector with the highest average fine per conviction (standing at £605,000).

Transportation and storage followed at £243,731, the latter industry having a 100% conviction rate.

Health-and-safety-insuranceIndustries with statistically significantly higher injury rates include:
  • agriculture, forestry and fishing
  • construction
  • public administration/defence
  • wholesale/retail; repair of motor vehicles
  • accommodation/food service activities
  • manufacturing.

Managing health and safety

Your employers’ liability insurance will protect you if one of your employees is injured or becomes ill as a result of a workplace incident and makes a claim for compensation from you. However, if you are subsequently found to have breached health and safety legislation, any fines and other expenses cannot be claimed under your employers’ liability insurance policy.

The implications of an investigation can have serious consequences on the financial viability of a business and its officers. Fines and investigation expenses can lead to insolvency for the company and in the worst cases imprisonment for its Directors.

Directors and Officers insurance

You may be able to make a claim on your insurance policy if you have Directors and Officers insurance. This covers a variety of claims; for more information visit our webpage insurance/liability/directors-and-officers or call 0121 321 4600 to discuss in more detail.

However, prevention is always better than trying to close the barn door after the horse has bolted and implementing an effective health and safety plan and management process will help to reduce accidents and minimise the risk of an investigation in the first place.

Health and Safety Assist

At CLA we like to offer a holistic solution to our clients’ insurance needs. As an insurance broker, we can advise you on the best insurance policy to provide cover for your individual business. We have also teamed up with partners who can provide additional services to manage and mitigate your risks.

One of our partners specialises in providing support by way of an online safety management hub to help you to simplify and manage your health and safety responsibilities all in one place.

To find out what the service includes and how the portal works, visit our webpage health-and-safety-assist
Or call one of our team to find out what you can do to reduce your exposure to health and safety risks and help to reduce your insurance premiums at the same time.