At the time of writing there is still uncertainty about the outcome of negotiations on whether the UK leaves the EU with or without a deal.

If we crash out of the EU without a deal, travelling to Europe after Brexit will see some changes to documentation and checks you need to make before you travel:
  1. Insurance Green Card – you will need to allow around 1 month to get one from your insurance provider.
  2. International Driving Permit (IDP) may be needed to drive in some countries.
  3. Healthcare insurance. Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may no longer be valid.
  4. Check your passport is valid for at least 6 months.

Customs-check-at-border-for-vehiclesWhat will it mean for haulage operators travelling in Europe?
The implications of a no deal for the haulage sector could be very disrupting and costly. The government has sent emails to 70,000 operators and industry bodies outlining what will be required when exporting goods to EU countries if we leave without a deal. They have produced a detailed handbook that can be downloaded from their website: Transporting goods between the UK and EU in a no-deal Brexit: guidance for hauliers.

Changes include:
  • Driving licences – the UK driving licence will no longer be valid in the EU, you will need an International Driving Permit
  • Possible delays at customs – additional paperwork and not having the correct paperwork are expected to cause long queues of HGV’s at ports, with worst case reports suggesting delays of 1.5 days on average
  • More documentation – a raft of additional certification, permits and insurance Green Cards.
No deal haulier documentation
In the event of a no deal, additional documentation required will include; Certificate of Professional Competence, International Driving Permits, EMCT Permits (European Conference of Ministers of Transport) and insurance Green Cards.

Other changes include renewals of documentation such as the International Operator Licence which will require a UK licence for the Community instead of the current EU Community Licence. Trading between EU countries could also be more complicated with countries adopting different rules and timescales. For example, some EU countries have decided that the IDP will not be required for travel through their territory. You will need to stay updated with the latest news.

Insurance Green Cards
If we leave the EU without a deal, all vehicles will need a Green Card and HGV’s will need one for the unit and one for the trailer.
We are advising our clients that if they know their vehicles will be in the EU and want to avoid last minute application delays, to apply for their Green Cards now.

To discuss your requirements, please call one of our team on 0121 321 4600.