Skilled trades cover a wide range of professions and include many self-employed jobs. According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS) the number of self-employed increased from 3.3 million in 2001 to 4.8 million in 2017, now representing 15.1% of the labour force.

Trade sectors include:
  • Construction and building (bricklayers, roofers, plumbers)
  • Metal and electrical (Vehicle technician, aircraft engineer, welders, CNC machinists)
  • Agriculture (Farmers, gardeners, groundsmen)
  • Textile/printing and other skilled trades (Tailors, butchers, bakers, chefs).
Each of these sectors have their own range of risks when it comes to insurance and it is important to tailor policies to meet each individual sector’s requirement.

This is where an Insurance Broker can help and advise you on risks you may not have even thought about or claims trends that are on the rise. For example:

1. Van insurance for trades

Electricial taking tools from vanTheft of tools or equipment from vehicles has risen dramatically over the last few years. Some insurance providers impose conditions or exclusions in their insurance policies. Many insurers are now limiting their tool cover to working hours only and will not cover tools left in vehicles overnight. Insurers will ask you for a value of the tools you want to insure and will apply an excess on any claim.
You may be able to take precautions to protect your vehicle contents from theft and reduce your insurance premium by installing an alarm, immobiliser or tracker. However, if there are times when tools have to be left overnight, you could increase security by using additional door locks or tool vault boxes. Modern CCTV cameras can also act as a deterrent. This is when the advice of a broker is invaluable to help you get the most suitable cover for your particular business risks.

2. Farming insurance

Theft of farm machinery has been on the increase over recent years. Farmers insurance policies often cover a range of services that are needed to cover the entire farming operation including:
  • Buildings
  • Livestock
  • Accident
  • Vehicles
  • Diseases such as foot and mouth
  • Money
  • Deterioration of stock.
Farming is undergoing constant change, never more so than now, with farmers being forced to diversify, tackle livestock diseases, and cope with flood risk. An insurance broker can offer advice on insurance cover required if you are considering a new venture or change to use of your land.

2. Liability insurance

Most trades have to deal with the general public and in our increasingly claim aware culture and the growth of no win no fee lawyers, individuals and businesses cannot afford to overlook this insurance cover:
  • Employers liability insurance is a legal requirement if you own premises or employ staff.
  • Public liability insurance will cover you if a client, customer or member of the public makes a claim against your business for injury (or death), medical fees or damage to their property or possessions.
  • Product liability insurance provides cover for any products that you supply or fit that are faulty or defective and result in a claim for damages.
  • Professional indemnity insurance is available for consultants and professionals providing advice to their clients. Claims for incorrect advice or mistakes are covered together with legal costs for defending you case.
Consulting an insurance broker such as Bollington CLA to provide advice will ensure you have the right amount of cover for your individual circumstances. Call one of our team on 0121 321 4600.