We are here to help you get the best value from your insurance
0121 321 4600
Newsletter Signup
twitter Social Icon linkedin Social Icon
Supported_Living_InsuranceTo be clear on which health care sector supported living insurance is aimed at, it is worth clarifying that it covers the domiciliary care and supported living service providers and is targeted at agencies and companies providing care at home.

Care homes insurance covers owners of buildings used for residential care of the young, vulnerable and disadvantaged members of our society.

With the growth in our ageing population and, in a lot of cases, resident’s preference to remain in their own home, a whole range of support services are needed through local homecare services, local authorities and agencies. These services can include:
  • Housekeeping and domestic work
  • Cooking
  • Nursing and healthcare
  • Carers respite service
  • Personal care
  • Gardening and repairs
Home health care is one of the fastest growing sectors in the health care industry and organisations providing these services face many risks whilst carrying out their daily tasks.

Due to the very nature of their working environment, travelling and working at different locations and in potentially unsafe households where risks are difficult to control, insurance cover with a wide range of benefits is required.

A “one size fits all” approach may not give you the most suitable insurance cover. This is where an insurance broker such as CLA will be able to research several providers and tailor a policy that is most appropriate for your business.

Employers liability insurance, public/product liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance are essential.
  • Other insurance cover you would expect include:
  • Business interruption
  • Mistreatment
  • Legal expenses
  • Personal accident and fidelity guarantee
  • Computer and business equipment
Call us for a quotation for your bespoke insurance requirements on 0121 321 4600.
Health_and_SafetyTwo recent cases of accidents in the workplace resulting in court cases being brought against companies and directors by the Health and Safety Executive highlights the increased risks to employees in these sectors.

The cases below are just two examples of the many court cases and fines imposed on companies in breach of health and safety regulations.

The first case involved an HGV driver who suffered fatal injuries while coupling the HGV tractor unit to a trailer.

**Speaking after the case, HSE inspector Jessica Churchyard said “This tragic incident led to the avoidable death of a young man, and was caused in part by the failure of his employer to implement and monitor safe systems of work to prevent vehicle runaways.
“This death could have easily been prevented if his employer had acted to identify and manage the risks involved, and followed the industry guidance.”

The second case resulted in the amputation of a demolition worker’s left arm and right hand.

**HSE inspector Rohan Lye said after the hearing: “If the company and its director had taken basic steps to decide how to do this routine task, and what control measures to use, they could have prevented this devastating incident resulting in an employee suffering life-changing injuries.”

In the first case involving the HGV driver, the company was fined £170,000 and ordered to pay costs of £6,268.80.

In the second case, the company was fined £150,000 and ordered to pay costs of £9,523.04. In addition, the company director was sentenced to ten months imprisonment, suspended for two years and ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work.

Insured risk
In both cases the companies would have had to pick up the fines. Your Employers’ Liability insurance policy will generally (depending on your policy wording) cover you for:
  • Employee compensation
  • Employee and criminal proceedings defence costs
  • Court attendance compensation
Even if you have Directors and Officers insurance as well, neither will cover the cost of an HSE investigation or resulting fines or time in prison.

How to minimise your risk of prosecution
As the two quotes above from HSE inspectors imply, both incidents could have been prevented if the employer had implemented effective risk management and approved codes of practice.

To protect your business, you will need to manage your safety documentation, training records and risk assessments etc. Every business has most of this in place but very few can easily and quickly put their hands on it and rely on it being up to date.

Our partnership with health and safety specialists “Health and Safety Assist” can help you with this.
Their online portal is a secure resource and provides access to your own safety management hub. The portal will help you simplify and efficiently manage all of the documents necessary to meet your health and safety responsibilities and comply with the relevant standards for your business sector.

There are also a host of added benefits that you can exploit as the portal becomes more bespoke to your business. It could lead to reduced insurance premiums by demonstrating you have proper management of your workplace risks and compliance with health and safety legislation.

To find out more about how working with Health and Safety Assist can save you money, protect you from prosecution and a hefty fine or prison sentence, please contact one of our team.

**Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0
Flooded_street_sandbags_protecting_property_compressedVermin, storms, fire, floods and foul play - not a line from Shakespeare but just some of the problems that commercial, residential and buy-to-let property owners face.

Daily headlines prove that what used to be seen as a good ticket to a steady income, can quickly turn in to a nightmare. With so many potential risks that can trip up property owners, industry insiders are shocked that large numbers still don’t check how thorough their insurance cover is. Forced by legislation to have certain insurance products in place, and desperate to keep costs down, many property owners are turning to policies purchased online or direct. This could leave them with disastrous cracks and gaps when it comes to making a claim.

Property owners of all types have money invested in their buildings, and protecting this can’t be left to impersonal questionnaires or faceless call centres. And with all the horror stories about tenants from hell, do property owners really need the added nightmare of researching and pining down the correct range of insurance products from the most appropriate insurer?

Independent, local  insurance brokers like us understand the unique and complex challenges facing this sector. We have the market knowledge and expertise to help property owners like you get the right policies, with the right limits, at the best possible premium. Unlike an online form or an  insurance “package”, we quickly grasp the wide range of variables you may face such as empty properties, theft, malicious and accidental damage and damage to your own accommodation or office.

We have another vital benefit to offer property owners too – local knowledge. This is a sector for which location, location, location has wide-sweeping meaning.  We know the special challenges faced by inner city, urban and remote properties and the finer points of where your property is too. If a claim does have to be made, local brokers like us can visit the premises, gather relevant information swiftly, and argue a case with insurers with authority.

The first step to achieving success for any future claims is for us to understand exactly what it is you need for your property.  It is not just what cover you have that counts, but at what levels and limits. For example are the sums insured on your property up to date with its value? Again, personal knowledge of the premises is a huge help because the insurance needs of an upmarket buy-to-let flat, inner city lock up shop and urban factory could not be more diverse.

CLA can look at your landlord insurance policy, and buildings, land and contents cover.  We can also advise on any extra covers you may need like Employers Liability insurance, legal expenses cover, rent guarantee insurance, equipment breakdown and loss of rent due to damage.

All of this helps is to make sure you are not paying for cover you don’t actually need. More importantly, it ensures that your commercial, residential or buy-to-let property is protected from the perils that could lead to loss of income. How much easier will it be for us to get your claims settled swiftly, if we are not knocking at a locked door?